Friday, December 16, 2005





Polish Jewish transport to/from Leninogorsk, Nov. 1939 to May 1945

Dear Friends,

Please excuse the impersonal nature of this note. I need your help.

When my mum passed away this past May, she left me an incredible trove -- a typed memoir of her experiences during the war years. I am now researching to learn more and would like to create a public work of this incredibly detailed document.

My mother was part of an eastbound transport of young Jews who departed Poland at the end of November, 1939, headed for Leninogorsk in the Soviet Union. This group stayed in that area until May, 1945. My mother was from Lodz and was 14 when she left Poland (she traveled with her older brother, but the two split up soon after their arrival. He would die of tuberculosis and be buried in Leninogorsk in an unmarked grave two years later, and she would travel on to Ust-Kamenogorsk until it was time to go back aboard the transport).












There are some unanswered questions in the document which need to be resolved. I would like to know who organized these transports, or if any documentation, registries, pictures or footage exists about them or the passengers anywhere. Any and all information about this era, locale, and especially the people who made this journey is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to cut and paste this note if you know of anyone who might be helpful.

A freiliche chanuke,
Lynda Kraar

Photo credits: Polish Jews 1939-1945. Created by Tomek Wisniewski as a project of "We are in search of Poland Society" in Bialystok (Stowarzyszenie Szukamy Polski). See our exibitions at www.szukamypolski.com/wystawy The animation of these photos see at: www.free.com.pl/zydy Hebrew translation: www.zchor.org/polishjews.htm

2 comments:

Gel said...

Early Happy Chanukkah to you!
I wish I had a way of truly helping you, but my ancestors perished in WWII, before my greet grandparents, who are no longer alive.

Have you passed this on to the Holocaust Museum in Washington, D.C. to see if anyone there can help you??

Lynda Marks Kraar said...

Thanks for your note. Yes, in fact, I am working closely with them now. Nonetheless, I am also searching the globe for survivors who took this route. To my knowledge, the USHMM has only seven records of Jews who were on the route. I am also searching the Polish expat community world-wide for others who were not Jewish but who were on the trains from Poland to Kazakhstan.
A freiliche chanuke,
Lynda